Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Ice Storm 2007 and the monkey boy...

An original name, I know. Anyway, we were part of OK's biggest ice storm yet. Our power went out Sunday night shortly after Austin returned from a snowboarding trip to CO (around 11pm). We set up to have to whole family sleep in the family room with a nice fire. We brought a double mattress downstairs, set up the pack-n-play, and made the love seat into a bed for B. Once we were all tucked in and cozy (around 1AM) the power came on. We slept in the family room anyway. The power went out Monday morning and was off all day. It came back on around 11PM, but went off again at 4AM. We slept in the family room both nights. Fun times. I've included some pictures. On Monday night we had our powerless neighbors over for smores and a game of cards. Maybe the power should go out more often. Its really fun tyring to explain to a 3 year old that while he can watch anything we have on DVD with the portable DVD player(as long as the batteries last), he can not watch his favorite T.V. show. Once B said, "Mom, I want the lights on." When I told him they were broken his response was that we needed to put new ones in. He also went around the house testing all the lights, like I was lying to him or something. Mase pushed chairs up to several switches and tried to turn on the lights too. Like I said before, fun times.

On a different note, Mase has learned to climb out of both the pack-n-play and his crib. He learned how to escape the pack-n-play on Sunday night just before the power went out. The lights flickered several times before they actually went off for good. Each time they would flicker Mase would scream bloody murder. I couldn't figure out why he was doing this since he was in our room in the pack-n-play supposedly going to sleep. Once the power went out for good and the screaming was continuing to escalate I went to check on him. No wonder he was screaming, I found him sitting in the rocking chair. Apparently he had climbed out of bed for the 1st time and had been playing in our room and got scared when he couldn't see anymore (we leave a night light on for him usually).

So the question is do I just move him to a big boy bed or continue to risk injury by letting him stay in and climb out of the crib? Tonight is his first night as a crib escapee and we have put him back 4 times. Let me know what you think I should do. Thanks ahead of time for the advice.
**********************************************************************************
After I published this blog I went to check on the boys. They had destroyed the room so I made them pick it up and put Mase in bed for the 5th times. The following pictures
are what I witnessed. (I know I'm sending mixed signals by laughing and taking pictures).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like it's time to put the bunk beds to maximal use! Good luck!

Christi said...

Time for the big boy bed. Good Luck!

Lesley said...

NOOOOOOO!!! he is our best sleeper at school. and that is because he sleeps in a crib! let's leave it that way ;)