Monday, August 17, 2009

'Twas the Night Before Kindergarten...


'Twas the night before Kindergarten
and all through the house
not a creature was sleeping
not even a mouse.

Backpacks were hung
by the door with care
in hopes that the morning
soon would be there.

Clothes were laid out,
just perfect for school.
Would tying your shoe
be a Kindergarten rule?

The child was nestled
all snug in his bed
while thoughts of a new year
danced in his head.

Art will be my favorite,
I saw a fire truck toy, too.
I think there will be centers,
I'm sure that is right.

For breakfast we'll have
waffles and fruit
then out the door,
in a hurry, we'll scoot.

On the porch a short pause,
a picture we'll take.
His face will be bright
the excitement's not fake.

"Anna is shy,
she'll need a good friend."
"Don't worry mom,
I'll stay by her to the end."

Dropped off at the door,
I'm sure he'll be fine,
But, Lord please watch him,
that baby, he's mine.

7 comments:

REIchou said...

Soo very very sweet, are you trying to make me cry too?!?

Traci Nyberg said...

What a sweet poem! Can't believe your first baby is heading off to Kindergarten!

Gena said...

Crying.

Elizabeth Mullins said...

Sweet poem...you are making me have a hard time for next year!~

Lesley said...

ok, didnt cry until now. thanks!

kj said...

I was really having a great morning until I checked the blogs this morning. You and Gena are downers....

; )

Kayla said...

Aww. So sweet.