Friday, May 20, 2011

Training Wheels Take 2 (Alternate title: Me Too)

All I've heard for the past 4 days from Mase is whining. "B doesn't every ride his scooter anymore, he just rides his bike." "B rides his bike in the street and I have to stay on the driveway." "B can ride faster then me". On and on and on. Tonight we were hanging out in the driveway enjoying the cooler temps after the rain when Austin says, "Mase do you want to try riding without your training wheels?" Of course the answer was "YES!" Austin starts taking the training wheels off while I go inside to get the video camera and regular camera. The cameras are just sitting right inside the house because they never got put away after B's bike riding adventure on Tuesday. It takes me seconds to get back outside, but by the time I walk to the end of the driveway Mase is riding down the street. Austin never had to hold on to him or run beside him, he just took off. Unfortunately Mase's back tire went flat on his second ride down the street. His most favorite thing to do is pedal as fast as he can, then slam on the breaks to see how long of a skid mark he can leave. Well, his back tire had absolutely no tread left.




After the tire incident we decided we'd see if Mase could ride B's bike. Crazy of us to think he couldn't. He hoped right on and took off. Take off is a bit trickier since he can't sit on the seat and reach the ground, but he figured it out. The first thing we heard him say as he rode past us was, "Wow, this bike is FAST!" He is without question our speed demon and our dare devil.



Off we went to the store to buy B a bigger bike, and to hopefully find a new 12 inch tire so we could repair the little bike for our cousin Tob to ride. I'm so thankful that Mase just accepts hand-me downs without question. He never questioned why B was getting the new bike when it was Mase's tire that went flat. Mase is just thrilled B's old bike is now his new bike. I know that innocent attitude won't last much longer. We had a very successfully trip to the local sporting good store and returned home with our pocket book much lighter. We found a new bike for B, 2 new bike helmets, t-ball pants, a new 12 inch tube and tire for the little bike, flip flops for Austin, and a baseball glove for me so I can play catch with the boys. (Mostly so I can play catch with Austin, I can catch balls from B and Mase without out a mitt). I can't find mine from my years of softball and I've been through my parents garage twice.

I realize Mase in not wearing his helmet in the pictures. He never wears it. However, the new rule "If you ride even once without your helmet, you will be grounded from your bike the rest of the day" has been repeated multiple times tonight. He was listening and he has repeated the rule to me. We'll see how long he gets to ride before he's grounded. If I were a betting person, I'd put money on him being grounded by tomorrow afternoon.


Off topic, but I want to remember:

On the way home from the store Mase asked, "Mama when I grow up and I'm a football player and monster truck driver can I just play football one day and the next day drive my truck? Just back and forth like that? And you'll come watch me?"

2 comments:

Alyssa said...

Super exciting news! I've still got 2 in training wheels! Maybe we should just take them off!!

Grandpa said...

YES! A Football Player!