Thursday, December 24, 2009

Christmas Eve Blizzard 2009

This post is mainly for Mimi and Landon who are enjoying temps in the 80's with a nice breeze.
It started sleeting this morning, turned to snow around 11, and the rest is history. We got 14 inches of snow, all interstates are closed, 1st responders (including the National Guard) are rescuing stranded motorists. It took our friend 10 hours to drive from Norman to Edmond. For 6 of those hours she didn't move.
My parents were not able to come over for dinner because they couldn't get out of their driveway. I'm thankful for good friends who live right across the street! We were able to have company for Christmas Eve dinner.
The following pictures were taken around 3:30 this afternoon.

notice the tricycle handle bars, the chimina, and slide. You can compare them to the last 2 pictures.


I took this picture from floor level.

Mase is fascinated. We didn't let the boys outside today because the wind chill temp was 3 degrees. We'll be playing outside tomorrow, a lot. Austin is even going to break out the snow board. B wishes I would have had the forethought to rent him skis and boots from Sun and Ski.

Our windows look like they were sprayed with fake snow.

from the front door

Our neighbor couldn't get his car over the snow drift in his driveway so he gave up and left it in the street.

snow even came in through the closed garage door

Mase's window. By the time it stopped snowing you couldn't see the brick under his window at all.

I shoveled the front porch in preparation for the Osburns' visit. This proved futile since they walked through deep drifts to get here.

I shoveled in my pj pants and boots. Look how deep the snow was.

our house

the after pictures. These were taken at 11:30 tonight. Notice the tricycle handle bars now.

We are also thankful for friends with 4 wheel drive. Santa left the boys' big gift at Kyle's shop for safe keeping. Thankfully, Kyle was willing to drive Austin over there to pick it up. The Jeep power wheels has been hiding under a blanket in the garage since this afternoon.
Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

Kayla said...

OMgoodness! I can't believe we got that much! We only have 4 inches where we are! I wonder if our goldfish outside died!?

Alyssa said...

Oh my goodness! I can't believe I'm missing all the excitement back home! Thank you for the update and pictures! Can't wait to scrapbook with you!