
As we were driving to Indy for the second time in a month I decided a stop at the St. Louis Arch was a good idea. I thought, "We'll get off the interstate, walk to the arch, ride to the top, ride down, and then get back on the road." I was WRONG. Getting off the interstate, finding a parking place, and walking to the arch all went fine. However, there was a line to get inside the Arch due to airport like security. Then there was a LONG line to buy tickets to the top. We were there around noon and the 1st available tram to the top was at 1:40. I really felt like we were committed to going up since we'd been talking it up to the boys. We thought we'd buy our tickets, then go eat lunch while we waited. The closest place to eat was the Arch Cafe on the Mississippi river. Sounded good to me until we got there. It was HOT and HUMID and the only seating was outside. The following picture of Mase shows just how hot it was. He was dripping in sweat, his hair was so wet it was like he had just gotten out of the bath. I took him into the bathroom to towel him off. The bathroom was air conditioned and I briefly entertained the idea of eating my lunch in there. YUCK! Anyway, the boys had a good time and it only delayed our arrival at my Aunt's house by 4 hours.

Lunch on the river. HOT HOT HOT and NO wind. Mase is not sunburned, he just turns red when he is hot.

Posing for a picture in a tram car. The cars that take up and down the Arch are like little round pods. They hold 5 people, but I couldn't even sit up straight and I'm no giant. I'm glad 2 of our people were small.

I've been up in the Arch 3 times now and this was the busiest I've seen it. It was so crowded up there we could barely move around. We basically looked out the windows while we waited in line to ride down.

As we were pulling back onto the highway to head on our way B says, "Mom, I think we should stop there again on our way home." I've got news for him, we aren't stopping there again for a long time. It will be several years before I forget the heat crowds. The purposed of a road trip, in my mind, is to get you from point A to point B in the least amount of time. Stopping to site see is counter productive. : )
No comments:
Post a Comment